The 2014 Burning River Fest will take place July 25 & 26 from 6-11 pm at the historic Coast Guard Station at Whiskey Island.
Since 2001, folks from all over the Great Lakes region have come together to remember the 1969 burning of the Cuyahoga River and celebrate the renewed sense of eco-consciousness the infamous fire sparked. Intended to raise awareness of environmental issues affecting the Great Lakes region and Cuyahoga River ecosystem, the annual Burning River Fest features live music, fresh food and chef demos from local farms and eateries, educational exhibits, artists from the Cleveland Museum of Art’s Parade the Circle, and a special appearance by Great Lakes Brewing Company’s® Christmas Ale™!
Highlights from Burning River Fest:
- Over 25 bands and musicians on three stages bringing funk, blues, rock, and more to the shore.
- Local environmental groups featuring interactive and educational displays for all ages.
- Fresh, all-natural local food and chef demonstrations, plus handcrafted beer by Great Lakes Brewing Company.
- Performance artists from the Cleveland Museum of Art's Parade the Circle
- A Corporate Boat Float featuring boats made from post-consumer recyclable materials.
- The most spectacular night time views of Cleveland from a wonderful greenspace right in the heart of Cleveland’s industry.
- A ceremonial lighting of floating pyres intended to commemorate the efforts to clean up our waterways since the burning of the Cuyahoga.
Proceeds benefit the Burning River Foundation, a local non-profit organization that provides resources for the sustainable future of our waterways, which has donated almost $400,000 to date.
The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) is currently working on the West 73rd Street Extension project to give better access to the park and lake destinations. As part of this work ODOT will be closing the SR 2 eastbound exit ramp to Edgewater Park on July 14 until approximately late-November 2014. The closure is necessary to construct the ramp on a new alignment. Click here for updated project maps and details.